Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Crafty Schmafty

Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,

But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.


Proverbs 31:30





So, these last couple of weeks, I have been alarmingly addicted to pinterest. :-)
I have already made a wreath and a makeup board.







I can't decide which is my favorite...the wreath is soooo pretty. But so is the makeup board...and it's practical, too.



Anyway, if you want to makeup board, this is how I did it:



Supplies - Photo Frame, sheet metal, spray paint, fabric, hot-glue, super glue (I used Gorilla Glue) make-up, and magnets.







First, I spray painted the back of my frame. (The frame itself was already gold, and my metal was not the right width of the frame, so I thought the gold sticking out would go very nicely <--Improvisation.)





Some people take the back off the frame, but I left mine on because the frame itself is not thick enough to hold the metal, and my metal was not the size of the frame, so it stayed on for the gold backdrop. You do want to take the glass off, though.




While the spray paint dried (about an hour), I ironed the fabric I put on the sheet metal. I got the fabric from Wal-Mart, already cut, for about $1. It had been folded for a while, so I had to get the wrinkles and creases out.




Then, I stuck that to the sheet metal.

At first, I thought Gorilla glue would be better than hot-glue (the hot glue dried really fast on the metal!) But the GG left wet spots on the fabric. So, on the back, I used the hot glue, just a lot faster than I did on the front. :-) This material matched my bathroom perfectly!




I applied the sheet metal, then to the back of the photo frame. I used the Gorilla Glue for this, and I put heavy books on top for the night. It holds up really well!








For my magnets, I bought some magnetic tape from Wal-Mart and applied that to the back of my make-up. I might invest in more magnets, because the tape does not go on some of the round or little pieces I have.




I also want to add another magnet strip on the bottom, and maybe on the top, for bobby pins and some of my brushes. :-) I'll spray-paint it gold, too. (It might also cover up some of the "wet" spots left by the gorilla glue.)
I really like how it turned out!



























No comments :

Post a Comment