Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Crockpot Craze!

So, this week's menu consists of Crockpot recipes! I realized I needed home-cooked food, but am too busy and tired to put much effort into it. Plus, these dishes are the best kind of comfort food!
I will either put all the ingredients in the night before or do it early that morning. Just depends on if it's for lunch (like Sunday) or for dinner (every other night).

Sunday - Pot Roast and BBQ Sandwiches
Ingredients:
- Roast (Either beef or Pork)
- Onions (I used pearl for David, but I didn't like them...they give the dish a good flavor, though)
- Carrots
- Potatoes
- Celery
- Pepper, Salt, Worshtershire Sauce, Garlic Powder, whatever else you want to put in there.

Cut up the veggies. Dump all the ingredients in the crockpot and cover with water and cook on low. I cooked mine all through the night (about 10:30 or 11:00) until noon the next day.

With the leftovers, I shredded the big pieces of the roast and mixed with BBQ sauce and put on buns! YUM!!!
Also, I had some of the veggies, meat pieces and juice left over, so I saved that as soup or stock for later.

Monday- Beans and Cornbread
Ingredients:
- Bag of Pinto Beans
- Ham or Smoked Sausage (I used the smoked sausage, although ham is my favorite!)
- Salt and Pepper

Soak beans overnight in water. Rinse. Put beans, cut up sausage, and salt and pepper (maybe sugar, too, but I put sugar in my cornbread, so I didn't need any in the beans.) Cover in water. I cooked mine on low for 7 or 8 hours, but I probably could have cooked them on high for that long. They were a little crunchy. :-) You can also add the sausage in during the last 2 or 3 hours if you don't like it falling apart. But I happen to like that texture.

Cornbread
Ingredients: (I'm going from memory, so it might not be exact...)
-2 cups cornmeal -buttermilk
-1/3 cup flour -1 large egg
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-salt
-1 cup sugar {optional}

Mix all dry ingredients. Then, mix egg with dry ingredients. Then, mix buttermilk. Add buttermilk until you have the consistency of cake batter. Put in greased 8x8 pan and cook @350 for about 25-30 min (depending on your oven).

Tuesday- Chicken Pot Pie
I really wanted to try this recipe, but I didn't write it down. :-(
So I am using a hodgepodge of recipes (like I always do)...

I put my chicken strips in the crockpot with carrots and celery, salt and pepper, covered in water. That will be on low from about 9:30am to 6pm.
When I get home from work, I'll take my veggies and chicken from the crockpot, add a cup or so of the broth with a can of cream of mushroom soup, a little flour, and a can of peas. Pop it in the oven for 15-20 min @ 375 or 400. Then, I'll put the crescent rolls on top of that and put back in the oven until the rolls are done.
*I hope this works!*

Wednesday - Chicken Spaghetti
Since Wednesday night is church night, this recipe is perfect! You just cook it on low for 2-3 hours. Plus, I already have my chicken cooked! (I'll use leftover chicken from Tuesday's meal.)

Thursday - Leftovers!
We have so much food left over, we'll either eat them Thursday, or I'll freeze them for "frozen dinners" for lunches. :-)
If I do that, I'll make fish tacos for supper. <3

This weekend, we are going to celebrate Christmas with David's family in Oklahoma. Yay!

No comments :

Post a Comment