Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Beautiful You

Pregnancy is supposed to be beautiful, right?
As I've "blossomed" in my pregnancy, I have started to feel blah. I don't feel attractive anymore. My clothes don't fit. I have trouble tying my shoes. I'm not comfortable in any position. Not to mention bodily functions that don't function right or over. Things just aren't the same, anymore. The list could go on, and on, and on. But as I think on this, I realize that I am using feelings and worldly standards on which to base my beauty and even self worth.
Obviously an applicable verse in this context is Proverbs 31:30: Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.
Also, 1 Peter 3:3-4 speaks to wives : Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.
This does not mean that I can't look nice, put on makeup, do my hair, etc. But as a Christian woman, and as a soon-to-be-mother of a little boy, I need to dwell more on God's standards than on the world's. This applies to non-pregnancy, too. I've always compared myself with others. I'm never as pretty, or as skinny, or as...you get the picture. But what I am is made in the image of the Creator, fearfully and wonderfully!
Christians today in the American culture put too much emphasis on outward beauty. We are bombarded by the world's version of beauty with TV, movies, air-brushed models, skimpy clothing, etc. This view of beauty is not only fake, but it is a lie from Satan to convince us that God's beauty is not enough. This idea has not only infiltrated our culture, but it has infiltrated our churches, too. It saddens me when Christian women believe this lie and surgically "enhance" or alter their bodies. Practically speaking, how could I try to teach my son not to value the outward appearance in a mate if I were to have work done on myself? That would be a little hypocritical to me. Plus, I can only imagine having THAT conversation with my teenage son! Or if I have a daughter, how can I teach her her own beauty in Christ while explaining why mommy had a boob job (for example)?
1 Corinthians 6 speaks so well on this topic. After Paul explains to the church at Corinth that even though, through the sacrifice of Jesus, things lawful for us to do might not be beneficial for us. He then goes on to speak against some foods and against adultry. Verses 19 & 20 are a beautiful reminder of who we are: Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Saying all that, I do not believe women should let ourselves go to pot or that we can't do things to make ourselves feel attractive. We are God's temple, and should treat our bodies as such. There's a balance. (Just as long as we don't make our looks an idol.)
Some practical ways that women, especially pregnant women, can feel attractive. I will save this list for the next blog. :-)
Here is a verse that I love!


Let your fountain be blessed, And rejoice with the wife of your youth. As a loving deer and a graceful doe, Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; And always be enraptured with her love.

Proverbs 5:18-19

Who said the Bible's not romantic?! ♥

1 comment :

  1. I LOVE THIS :) Thanks for sharing...even non preggo ladies need to hear this girl!

    ReplyDelete