Friday, January 27, 2012

Maternity Dress

 

Since I’ve moved to Fort Worth, I’ve been surrounded by crafty people. I’ve always been so envious and intimidated by them. I have since found Pinterest! I know I talk about Pinterest in a lot of my posts, but I have since found seemingly ordinary people who make extraordinary things…with tutorials! I can follow directions…mostly. I found, like with cooking, I’ll glance at the directions or recipe, then do it sort of like it says. “The code’s more of a guideline…” (Yes, I’m a pirate.)

Sorry, I got off track. Where was I? Oh, yes, the journey of being crafty.

Since I found Pinterest, and since I’ve been pregnant, I have really wanted to try to make some of the cute things I’ve found. So I started with the makeup board, done a wreath, and re-vamped a shirt to a maternity countdown. Fairly small and simple. Lately, I’ve been feeling adventurous. I’ve seen several posts and blogs about DIY dresses and clothes. I got a sewing machine for Christmas from my grandparents. My first project: fixing holes in my hubby’s jeans. Mindless. Simple. Next, I tried a nightgown. Loved it! Although there are several flaws, I wear it at night when nobody else can see. Now for the biggie: a dress. I know what the old me would be thinking. “That project is too big for you! You’ve barely started sewing, there is no way that will be presentable!” But not the new, “I can make anything with a sewing machine” me! That me thought, “Easy as pie!” So, I went to Jo Anne’s and bought a simple, cheap pattern. 

The Dress

DSCF0468

I wanted to use knits because I’ll be my most pregnant during April. While that’s not too hot, I want to be comfy! Knit is cool and stretchy (most important when thinking of maternity wear!) and comfy. Also, I chose the long sleeve, modified to just about the elbow, because I want to wear it now (while it’s supposed to be winter!) and after I give birth. An all-season dress. The major thing is the runching on the waistline. This allows for a perfect fit throughout pregnancy!

As I read yesterday (after I finished all the cutting out and piecing together), quite often the pattern sizes don’t match your “size”. So while my measurements said 16-18 on a few pieces (I’m preggo, quit judging!) I still had to make tons of fitting adjustments! (Mostly, it was too big, thank you very much!) But it worked out quite nicely. One thing, though, (you can’t tell from the pic that well), the neckline on the dress is a little lower than I like. I meant to adjust it, but forgot.

The Finished Product! DSCF0465

 DSCF0472

 

DSCF0469 DSCF0471

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you, Amber, for taking such marvelous pictures! ☺

Headband

I also made the headband and the neckline from some jersey I had left over. (I got a little over 3 yards of this fabric, just because I loved it so much! Also, I didn’t know how much I needed…I’d never made a dress before! I have about 1yard left over…probably more.) I took scraps, cut them into three pieces, (1/3 in for the neckline and 1/2 for the headband, maybe…) and braided them. I sewed the edges of one side before I started so I would have a little more stability when braiding. When I braided the stretch of fabrics together, I either tried it on my head, or fitted it around the neckline. I then sewed it and cut the edges off.

With the neckline, I tried sewing the braid to the dress via machine the first time…please don’t! I had to take the whole thing off after I was done. It changed the shape of the top, the braid flattened, and there was too much thread. So, after I took it off, I made another and hand stitched it. I ended at the shoulders. I did machine sew the edges on the dress, just to make sure it didn’t fall off, and to press it down more.

DSCF0466

(sorry about the color, I wanted there to be a definition…)

DSCF0473 DSCF0480

I hope this encourages some of you to try sewing! It’s not nearly as difficult as you think it is!

When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
Proverbs 31:21-25

2 comments :

  1. You did a wonderful job! Great pic for pattern and colour on you :)
    It seems you are a natural seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW DaniellIEE!! YOU DID IT!!!! It looks so very fablous on you! YAAAY!! So proud of you! I love how amazing you are!

    ReplyDelete