Saturday, September 1, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake!

This weekend was my brother’s birthday. So, when he and his wife came over for Saturday meal, we had his favorites! Steak, Baked Potatoes, and Green Beans. (Thank you, Albertson’s for your buy one get one free deal on steaks this week! It only cost us $3/person for the steaks…about $4-$5/ person for the whole meal! Love cooking at home!)

Anyway…I had to fix him a birthday cake. One, because I couldn’t see spending $20-$30 for something I could easily do at home. And two, because I really like making cakes! Even though my last attempt wasn’t too appealing…It still tasted yummy (right Amber???)

So, what’s a good sister do? She looks for something on Pinterest! His favorite cake is red velvet. I found the perfect recipe here. Doesn’t it look yummy???
It even has the cream cheese icing recipe to go with it!

My decorating frosting was actually buttercream - half a stick of butter, or a little more, with just enough powdered sugar to get the consistency you want and add a little cocoa powder and a couple of drops of red food coloring. And the splatters are regular Hershey’s chocolate pieces melted with a little milk and sugar.

IMG_0964

 

I also found a really good decorating tip here. I didn’t use the paper towel (well, I tried, but I didn’t have the right kind b/c mine stuck to the frosting!) but I did do two layers…the cake went into the freezer after the first layer (the crumb layer) so you don’t have crumbs stuck in your icing. Wish I had known that trick a couple of cakes ago!

 

IMG_0963

Do You think they liked it???

IMG_0966

1 comment :

  1. it looks awesome! and my cake was both appealing AND delicious :)

    ReplyDelete