Friday, September 28, 2012

Love Canvas Art

My obsession lately: Canvas. There are so many things you can do with it! (And so many ideas on Pinterest to do!)

 

This is not my first canvas project. I’ve already done another sayings canvas for my brother and sister in law (they actually used it in their wedding!) And I’ve done a crayon piece. It’s one of my favorites! (One of my husband and my engagement pics!)

DSCF1250

But I can’t stop now! I really want to do this one, only break it up into six or so canvases…we’ll see if it can get done before I leave.

 

Ok, back to my latest project. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. I actually did it, but it didn’t turn out b/c I used too dark a green…it didn’t look good with a dark background. Plus, I ran out of letters and tried to recycle old letters. Not good! They kept sliding, so the letters were not defined. It was just a mess!

I think I’m going through a late version of nesting! I am trying to do cutesie things to hang in Gideon’s room or our room when we finally get to our new place…and at training to make it feel a little more homey and not temp. And I’ll use the 3M velcro stickies to hang these up!

What you need:

  • Canvas
  • Lettering (I bought vinyl letters at walmart for about $3…)
  • Background (paint or fabric)
  • glue gun
  • Mod Podge (optional…I made my own)
  • Paint

 

Step 1: Background

Get the canvas (I bet wood would work well, too!). Either paint the canvas or apply the fabric. I have done both, and both have worked really well. The fabric is a little more difficult because the letters might not stick as well to the fabric as to the paint. But, with the fabric you don’t have to wait as long to apply the letters. If you paint, you have to wait until the paint dries.

With the fabric, I mod podged it to the canvas, then hot glued the sides and back.

IMG_1219

 

Step 2: Letters

I don’t have a fancy machine to cut out my letters. And I moved away from my friend who does have one. So I have to improvise. WalMart has these vinyl letters for about $3. I really like them, but you don’t have any variations of script. I will have to try Hobby Lobby or Michaels to see if they have different script. Or maybe Etsy.

So, just stick you letters on the covered canvas.

 

IMG_1227

We’re starting him out early!

 

Step 3: Overcoat

All you do next is paint over this. Completely. Make sure your colors match. I’d do dark and light. (See my example at the top…not good!) I’ve also done a light yellow with light grey. That was really pretty! This time I did light green.

IMG_1233

You can still see the letters…They are easy to peel off.

Which is Step 4.

 

IMG_1234

 

I had some extra material, and wanted everyone to know that this is definitely football (if you can’t see them underneath). So I took cardboard (to give it a 3d feel), cut out a football from the material, and placed it on the canvas…voila!

 

Final Product:

IMG_1238

 

I did apply a layer of glossy mod podge to the top.

What is the difference in matte and glossy??? Do I need to apply more than one coat to get a glossy feel???

 

What do you think? I like it…it might go in my room instead of Gid’s! HA!

No comments :

Post a Comment