Tuesday, May 28, 2013

This Life…

As I sit on my back porch, I am reflecting on the many changes our family has gone through in the past few months. We have lost a sister. Moved from our families. Emerged ourselves, as best we can, into another culture. Gained a niece. Met some really nice people. Are learning a language. Have a whole new way of life.

These last couple of months have not been easy. The newness of the new has worn off a little. And while we still love the people, we are a little homesick.

I read a blog a few weeks ago that sums it up nicely.

Sometimes I envision what life would be like back in the states. Would we move close to our families? Would we start adopting a child? Would David be a pastor or a football coach? How often would I eat at Chick-fil-a??? Would I take running to Walmart for granted?

But then I realize that while some of these fantasies are nice, God has not called me to live in the states. God has called me to live among a different people in a different culture, so that His name may be known. Yes, like the author of the other blog says, I do grieve.

I grieve for my family. My son spent his first birthday in a country away from his grandparents and cousins and friends. And my brother and his wife just had their first child. I grieve that I missed that special day.

I grieve for my way of life. Although we have many, many amenities and are not living in squalor or a third world country, and while we can get many American things (while paying a fortune for many of them), this is not America. This is not Texas (I am wearing a sweater, and this is almost JUNE!). I miss cars. You know, the automatic kind. I miss country music. I miss being able to listen to other’s conversations and understand them. I miss not feeling like a child. I miss not being treated like a child. I miss home. But, I have to remember, home is wherever God has called the three of us. I am home because I have my husband and my child here with me. (I know that sound so cheesy, and it really is, but when you are in another country, sometimes you live on the cheesy expressions and thoughts…)

As the author of the other post points out, all of those things are idols. God has provided us with all we need, and MORE! Most importantly, He gave His son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, and raised Him up from the dead so I may be free! And He has called us to the Portuguese people to share that awesome news with them!

So, as much as I miss home, I would miss being on the mission field more if I were not here. God has called me to this place. He has called me to his work overseas since I was a teenager. He called me His daughter when I was six. God has called me! That is my strength and my comfort.

Will you pray for me and for my family in Christ who is either serving overseas or who has family overseas? Will you pray that we will not grieve too much? Will you pray for comfort and healing for our hearts? And will you pray for that strong calling and passion we felt when we were getting ready to come over here? And will you pray that Portugal will get a Chick-fil-A really soon? (Ok, maybe not for that…but seriously!)

No comments :

Post a Comment