Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Birth Story #3: Amos William Barker

The day started like any other. I was very pregnant and wanting baby boy to come out! So, we went to KMart for something to do (and for me to walk around). Since I have had contractions since around week 20, I knew that they get worse with car rides and with walking. I was 38 weeks.

When we got home I cooked dinner, and I noticed my contractions hadn't lessened after we got home. So, I laid down and started timing the contractions. After an hour with contractions coming every 5 minutes (and texting my midwife), we pack up and head to the City. (I chose to give birth an hour and a half from home, so I wanted to leave in enough time to get there safely...considering my second birth lasted a little less than two hours!)

Although they were uncomfortable, the contractions weren't really painful. Yet.

We got to the hospital around eleven o'clock that night. When we got to the hospital, they checked me and told me I was at a 6. Going from experience, I figured an hour or two to meet the baby. Boy, was I wrong! This labor lasted around 12 hours from the time I got home from KMart to delivery! Throughout the night, I progressed pretty slowly. They broke my water around 1:30 or 2 am, and the contractions intensified. But unlike my previous two births, they stayed around 2-4 minutes apart. I was able to rest and relax a little between the pain. I could even joke with David...until a point.

My nurse was amazing! When I got around an 8, and the pain was really intense, I asked my nurse to stay with me. She lovingly agreed, and when I had contractions she danced with me and massaged my back. She was a really great help, and I don't know that I could have made it so easily without her! Around a 9, I felt like I was ready to push. Of course, I wasn't, but my nurse and midwife tried to get me ready. They were suggesting different positions for me to labor (and eventually push), but I was having such bad back labor that did not stop when contractions stopped, so I ended up pushing on my back with a labor bar up for my feet to push. Again, the nurse and midwife were amazing and tried to make me as comfortable as possible. And because of them, this was the first delivery that I have not needed stitches! (TMI, I know...)

Although I was in labor longer with Amos than the other two put together, this was the easiest labor and delivery. Because I was able to rest between contractions, I was able to concentrate and not freak out so much. I found spots on the bed or tv to stare at, and I also sang the ABCs to void the pain. (You know you're a toddler mom when...)

At 6:30 am Coach B and I welcomed our third born, Amos William. He is such an easy baby so far. He mainly cries when he is hungry or gassy. He is a great eater, seems to love his siblings, and loves cuddling with mommy! This brown eyed boy has stolen all of our hearts in the mere two weeks he's been here. I can't imagine our family without him.

1 comment :

  1. Love this, love you, and love Baby Amos! Way to go mama!
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete